Hand-outs of the lectures
1 The writing process
2 Storyline Introduction and Discussion
3 Topic and Key – Paragraph shapes
5 Sentence length
7 The passive voice
8 Noun style
9 Hedging and boosting
10 Punctuation – Pitfalls
11 Verb Tenses
12 Methods and Results
13 Time Management for Authors
Exercise 1: Plenty of Moustaches Answer Key -Exercise 1
Exercise 6: Introducing the paragraph Answer Key – Exercise 6
Exercise 7: Find the Point Answer Key – Exercise 7
Exercise 8: Four tools of cohesion Answer Key – Exercise 8
1. Plenty of Moustaches
2. Happiness in your Network
3. Essay: The Curse of Knowledge (by Steven Pinker)
4. The Darwin Awards
5. Use of Positive and Negative Words in Science
6. Impact of Spin (Boutron)
7. Spin in Published Biomedical Literature (Chiu)
How to Write Your First Research Paper
The Joy of Writing
How to Write a Literature Review 1
How to Write a Literature Review 2
Writing Cover Letters for Scientific Manuscript
Notes on Writing a Paper
Making Tables and Figures
The Science of Scientific Writing
Helen Sword: Stylish Academic Writing
- WRITE SOON! Watch this inspiring video with a lecture from Professor Simon Peyton Jones, Microsoft Research. Seven simple suggestions: don’t wait – write, identify your key idea, tell a story, nail your contributions, put related work at the end, put your readers first, listen to your readers.
2. ALTHOUGH FRED BEATS HIS DOG, HE IS A NICE GUY
Watch this video (you can skip the first 10 and the last 20 minutes) and you know forever how to stress the key statements in your paper. By Judy Swan.
3. STYLISH ACADEMIC WRITING, WHO CARES?
Helen Sword gives her opinion on the stylishness of academic writing. What do you think?
4. LESS IS MORE: that is Kristin Sainani’s message in this short but instructive video from ACS Webinars: Cut unnecessary words.
5. ZOMBIE NOUNS Helen Sword gives you a lesson on Zombie Nouns. Beware!
6. THE PASSIVE VOICE: WHEN & WHY
From the Writing Center University of Colorado
7. THE SENSE OF STYLE: Steven Pinker gives an overview of the content of his book.